Last Updated: April 14, 2023
The Site is not intended for or directed to persons under the age of 18, and we will not knowingly collect information from persons under 18. To provide information to us through registration or in any other manner on the Site, you must be 18 years of age or older.
1. What Does ClassPass Do?
ClassPass enables consumers (“ClassPass Users”) to find, book and attend a wide range of fitness, recreational and wellness classes, services, or products offered and operated by fitness studios, gyms, trainers, venues, or other third-parties through our platform ("Partners"). ClassPass UK Ltd is located in the U.K. and our parent company, ClassPass LLC, is headquartered in the United States. The ClassPass group companies operate all around the world.
2. What Personal Information Does ClassPass Collect?
We collect or receive personal information in a few different ways. Often, you choose what information to provide, but sometimes we require certain information in order for you to use, and for us to provide you with, the Site and the services you access through the Site.
Personal Information You Provide To Us.
There are a variety of different ways you may provide personal information to us, such as:
- Account Creation. To create a ClassPass User account, you need to provide information such as your name, email address, phone number, sign-up city, and a password. If you make a purchase or sign up for a subscription, you will need to provide payment and billing information. You can choose to add further information to your account, such as birthdate, gender, photo, and address. If you are a ClassPass Partner we will ask for your name, address, phone number, email, credit card information, tax identification number, and information about your business, including the names of the instructors and individuals who provide your classes and services and the email addresses of authorized individuals on your account.
- Posting and Uploading. We collect personal information from you when you provide, post, or upload it to our Site, such as when you respond to a survey or provide a class rating or review.
- Communications Data. We may send transactional messages to you on behalf of, or initiated by, Partners or ClassPass Users. For example, we may enable Partners to send text or in-app messages to ClassPass Users via our Site about an upcoming reservation. ClassPass receives data regarding such calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communication and its content.
- Third-Party Data. If you are a ClassPass User, you may not provide information to us about someone else unless you have obtained the prior consent of the other person for us to receive and use their information, such as for emergency contact or referral purposes.
Personal Information Collected Automatically Through Your Use of the Site.
- We log usage data when you visit or otherwise use our Site, such as when you view or click on content or ads (on or off our Site), perform a search, browse, schedule a reservation, and install or update one of our mobile apps. Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like internet protocol (“IP”) address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location), language and marketing preferences and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
- We may also collect precise geolocation data pertaining to your mobile device if you have consented to providing this to us through your device settings. We may use this information to provide, promote, and improve our services (for example, by showing you classes that are close to your location) and for related reasons, such as fraud prevention and security purposes. Please note that if you do not consent to providing your geolocation data, certain features of the mobile application may not work.
Personal Information Collected from Other Sources.
- We may receive personal information about you from other sources, such as public databases, strategic and joint marketing partners, social media pages and platforms, people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, as well as from other third parties. For example, where we make this available, you may choose to sync your ClassPass User account details with a third-party network, such as Facebook. If you do this, we will receive some of your Facebook account information. Exactly what information we receive will depend on your settings with the third-party network, but typically we receive your basic public profile information such as your username, email address, age range, gender, chosen language, country, friends list and any other public information.
Personal Information Collected from Partners.
- Our Partners may choose to submit feedback to us about you regarding your use of their facilities or services.
3. What Does ClassPass Do with the Personal Information it Collects?
ClassPass uses personal information it receives for several purposes:
- Site: To operate and maintain our Site and the products and services offered through our Site. For example, we use ClassPass User personal information to fulfill your reservation and purchase requests, including processing payments, and to customize your experience on our Site, such as by tailoring the content or experiences we show you. We use personal information about instructors made available by Partners to display within schedules listed on our Site.
- Communication: To contact you through email, phone, postal mail, notices, and push notifications posted on our websites or apps, and other ways. We will send you messages about the availability of our Site, security, customer service, or other service-related issues. We also send messages about the Site, updates, reminders, and promotional messages in accordance with your communications preferences. We may also send you messages about an upcoming reservation which are initiated by a Partner or a ClassPass User on their behalf. You may change your communication preferences at any time. Please be aware that you cannot opt-out of receiving service messages from us, including security and legal notices.
- Customer Support: In connection with customer service inquiries and matters, such as to investigate, respond to and resolve complaints and service issues.
- Social: To provide features which allow ClassPass Users to connect with, and be found by, other ClassPass Users.
- Marketing: For marketing purposes, such as to develop our marketing strategy, send you marketing communications, and offer contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions and to fulfill any related awards or discounts.
- Research and Development: For research, analytical, recordkeeping, and reporting purposes; to develop and test new products, features and ideas; to learn about our customer base and Site and to evolve and improve our Site, products, and services.
- Other: For any other purpose identified at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
4. What is the Legal Basis for Processing Personal Information?
If you are a visitor from the United Kingdom, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to Contact Us” heading below.
5. Who Does ClassPass Share My Personal Information With?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients or in the following circumstances:
- To our group companies, to provide, develop, improve, and analyze the Site and our offerings;
- To any Partner that makes available a class, activity or experience you reserve or use through our Site as a ClassPass User and their third-party providers, so that they can process the applicable reservation or activity and make available classes and services to you;
- Your name, photo and other information associated with your ClassPass User account will be visible to other ClassPass Users so that they can search for and connect with you on ClassPass. You can prevent other ClassPass Users from being able to search for you by updating your preferences via the Privacy tab in your Account Settings;
- If you sync your ClassPass User account to a third-party network, such as Facebook, or provide us with your contacts, such as those stored on your mobile device, you will be able to see which of your contacts are using ClassPass. If those contacts are ClassPass members, they will also be able to see that you are using ClassPass;
- If you accept a friend request from another ClassPass User then, in addition to your name, photo and other information associated with your account, that ClassPass User will also be able to see your past and upcoming classes, your achievement badges, your favorite studios, your friend connections and other profile information (together, “Profile Information”). We may use, communicate, and display your Profile Information next to or in connection with ads, offers, and other messages to your ClassPass friends - for example, by sending an email to one of your ClassPass friends to suggest that they join you in class. If you would like to stop your Profile Information being shared with your ClassPass friends in this way, you can do so via the Privacy tab in your Account Settings;
- To anyone who visits the public area of our Site, including via venue and schedule listings, public profiles, reviews, or class ratings. As a ClassPass User, you should be aware that any content or information you choose to disclose in public areas of our Site can be read, collected, and used by other users, the general public and other sites (including search engines);
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third-party where we believe disclosure is necessary as a matter of applicable law or regulation, to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- To your program administrator (such as your employer or similar entity), if you participate in any enterprise solutions or the ClassPass Corporate Program; and
- To any other person with your consent to the disclosure or otherwise in accordance with applicable law.
6. How does ClassPass Keep My Personal Information Secure?
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, we cannot guarantee 100% security of any information that you send us.
7. International Data Transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective). Specifically, our Site servers are located in the United States, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
8. Data Retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
9. Your Data Protection Rights
Where applicable law allows for such rights, you have the following data protection rights:
- You may correct, amend, or delete your personal information by editing your profile on the Site or contacting us as explained below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us.
- You have the right to opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us as explained below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
You may contact us as explained in the “How to Contact Us” heading below. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
10. Third-Party Sites
11. Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws. You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.
12. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us as follows:
ClassPass UK Ltd (the data controller) here.
If you are a ClassPass User, contact us here.
If you are a ClassPass Partner, contact us within the Partner Dashboard.
Alternatively, you may reach us at the following address:
4051 Broad Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Last Updated: May 25, 2018
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widelyused by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reportinginformation.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, ClassPass) are called "first party cookies". Cookies set by partiesother than the website owner are called "third party cookies". Third party cookies enable third party featuresor functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics).The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognise your computer both when it visits the website in questionand also when it visits certain other websites.
We use first party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in orderfor our Sites to operate, and we refer to these as "essential" or "strictly necessary" cookies. Othercookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Websites. Thirdparties serve cookies through our Sites for advertising, analytics and other purposes. This is described in more detailbelow.
First and third-party cookies served through our Sites and the purposes they perform are described below:
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Sites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Sites but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Sites are being used or how effective are marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our Sites for you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you and they perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing and in some cases selecting and displaying advertisements to you across the internet that are based on your interests.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Sites through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
What about other tracking technologies?
Cookies are not the only way to recognise or track visitors to a website. We may use other, similar technologies from timeto time, like web beacons (sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs"). These are tiny graphicsfiles that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited our Sites or opened an e-mailthat we have sent them. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within ourSites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Sites from an onlineadvertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of e-mail marketingcampaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookieswill impair their functioning.
Our mobile applications may include third-party application software development kits that provide mobile performance andanalytics data, bug reporting features, and APIs to third parties that help provide the Site, for social media functionality,and for marketing and advertising.
Does ClassPass serve targeted advertising?
As described above, third parties may serve cookies on your computer or mobile device through the Sites to serve advertising.These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide relevant advertisementsabout goods and services that you may be interested in. They may also employ technology that is used to measure the effectivenessof advertisements. This can be accomplished by them using cookies or web beacons to collect information about your visitsto this and other sites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services of potential interest toyou. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact detailsor other personally identifying details unless you choose to provide these.
How can I control cookies?
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/protect-your-privacy/cookies
- Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=es&answer=95647
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5042
- Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows7/how-to-manage-cookies-in-internet-explorer-9
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. If you would like to find outmore information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, https://www.networkadvertising.org/, or http://www.youronlinechoices.com.Please bear in mind that there are many more networks listed on that site than those that we use on our Website.
We use Google cookies for analytics and marketing purposes. You can opt-out of Google tracking through Google Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means. Google also provides a Google Analytics opt-out plug-in for the web.
What is Do Not Track (DNT)?
DNT is a concept that has been promoted by regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), for the Internetindustry to develop and implement a mechanism for allowing Internet users to control the tracking of their online activitiesacross websites by using browser settings. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has been working with industry groups,Internet browsers, technology companies, and regulators to develop a DNT technology standard. While some progress hasbeen made, it has been slow. No standard has been adopted to this date. As such, ClassPass does not generally respondto "do not track" signals.
How often will this Cookie Notice be updated?
The date at the top of this Cookie Notice indicates when it was last updated.
Where can I get further information?