(New York, NY) February 5, 2019 – ClassPass, the world’s leading fitness membership, is sharing data and insights around how the New Year affects ClassPass behavior patterns, motivation, trends on the rise and what that all means for fitness in 2019. The findings, derived from an analysis of over 60 million ClassPass reservations and a 2018 user survey, include:
- How the holiday season and New Year’s resolutions affect fitness class attendance
- When (to the day) people start to fatigue after the New Year
- How ClassPass members stay on track with their fitness goals beyond January
- ClassPass’ predictions for the biggest fitness trends of 2019
- In a survey conducted in December 2018, 59% percent of people said their 2019 resolution was to exercise more, making it the most popular New Year’s Resolution this year.
- An analysis of ClassPass’ classes attended from 2016-2019 shows that January’s classes attended are especially high following the ups and downs of the holiday season when people struggle sticking with a routine. On average, ClassPass sees a 37% boost in overall classes attended in January vs. December.
- Between January 23rd and January 26th is when ClassPass sees the most classes attended in the year.
- New Year’s fatigue starts to set in on February 18th. 38% fewer people attend classes on February 18th than on the peak date in January.
- The February lull doesn’t last long, with the majority of ClassPass members getting back on the wagon in March, attending classes on a regular cadence.
- On average, February’s total classes attended decreases by -10% and in March classes attended increase by +9% on average.
How to Stick to Your New Year’s Fitness Goals
The majority of ClassPass members attribute their motivation to work out to ClassPass. Based on responses from a sample of ClassPass users surveyed in Q3 2018, the brand is sharing tips on how to stay on track to achieving your fitness goals this year:
Use the buddy system: Research has found that you’re more likely to exercise if you work out with a friend or co-worker. 86% of ClassPass members say they’ve attended fitness classes with a buddy.
Plan ahead: 70% of ClassPass members said booking class ahead of time helps them to commit to a workout, getting them one step closer to achieving their fitness goals.
Try new things: Adding variety to your workout routine is a great way to avoid getting bored of exercise. 65% of ClassPass members say they’re more motivated to work out because they discover great new studios on ClassPass.
Predictions For The Biggest Trends of 2019
Treadmill classes: Treadmill classes were the fastest growing trend of 2018 and this trend will continue to rise in 2019. ClassPass saw an 82% increase in classes that incorporate treadmills in 2018 vs 2017.
Shorter class times: Shorter classes are on the rise. ClassPass finds that 33% more people signed up for classes 44 minutes or less in 2018 than they did in 2017. People are busier than ever and studios are catering to that more and more, adding 9% more classes 44 minutes or less last year alone.
Boxing classes: Boxing classes will continue to see an uptrend in 2019. The total number of boxing classes available on ClassPass grew by 49% in 2018, with cardio boxing growing by 34% and kickboxing by 23%.