We may be saying goodbye to summer, but thanks to our friends at Health-Ade Kombucha, we have the perfect way to welcome a new season — a cocktail and mocktail featuring Health-Ade’s Beet-Lime Kombucha.
Why beets? Well, if you have to ask, you probably haven’t tried them. Aside from the fact that they’re delicious, beets are in abundance right now and great for athletes to incorporate into their diet. They are rich in antioxidants and nitrates which in turn improve nitric oxide levels in the body. When juiced and consumed, this can lead to better lung function, increased blood flow and muscle contraction.
So, without further ado, we give you the tastiest cocktail and mocktail recipes of the season to help you celebrate.
Beet-Lime Sunrise Mocktail
2 large beets, skin on, chopped into 1/2-3/4 pieces
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/3 cups Health-Ade Beet-Lime
4 Tbsp grenadine
2 cups all-natural orange juice (no sugar added)
4 lime zest curls garnish (from 1 lime)
1. To make beet juice, add chopped beet and water to a high-powered blender and blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain juice through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding solids.
2. Bring beet juice to a boil over medium heat. Let juice reduce until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Strain once more through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding solids. Let cool.
3. To make zest curls, slice 4 wheels off the thickest part of the lime. On a cutting board, make a cut in the center and unravel wheel until almost straight. Use a paring knife to remove the pulp from the rind. Twist the rind ribbon around your finger to form the curl. Wind tightly to hold shape.
4. Distribute ice between 4 glasses. To each glass add 1 Tbsp beet juice and 1 Tbsp grenadine. Follow with 1/3 cup Beet-Lime kombucha. Lastly, top with 1/3–1/2 cup orange juice. *Add orange juice gradually—beet juice, kombucha and grenadine will sink to the bottom, leaving the orange juice on top. Serve with a lime curl.
*Depending on the order in which you add kombucha, grenadine, orange juice and beet juice the color layering will differ. Experiment with different variations!
Original recipe by Ashley Cuoco
Berry Beet Smash Cocktail
Serves: 1 Cocktail
1/3 cup crushed ice
1 1/2 oz vodka
1/4 cup mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon St. Germain liqueur (ie. elderflower liqueur or simple syrup)
Health-Ade Beet-Lime Kombucha
To garnish: 2-4 fresh berries, sprig of fresh mint
1. Add ice to a glass and set aside.
2. Muddle vodka, berries, lime juice, and St. Germaine together in a cocktail shaker.
3. Pour vodka/ berry mixture into prepared glass.
4.Top with Health-Ade beet lime kombucha and garnish with extra berries and a sprig of fresh mint.
Original recipe by Deborah Murphy