No matter how many Netflix movies we binge watch or shows we live stream on our smartphones, we’ll never forget growing up watching some of the greatest films of our time. From Disney cartoons to Molly Ringwald’s appearances in the Hughes’ films, many of the most entertaining movies of the 80s and 90s taught us not only that girls could play baseball and that Saturday detention could make you new friends, but that life’s most important lessons could be presented in the form of a made-up character and a clever line or two.
When it comes to great movies of the past few decades, the list goes on and on. But we won’t deny that it was pretty easy to pick out a few of our favorite lines — and yup, they still grab us decades later. Here are some of the most inspirational movie quotes from the 80s and 90s, that are still relevant to this day.
1. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great” — Jimmy from A League of Their Own (1992)
2. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” — Ferris from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
3. “Who says my dreams just have to stay my dreams?” — Ariel from The Little Mermaid (1989)
4. “So I’m gonna do my kind of dancin’ with a great partner, who’s not only a terrific dancer, but somebody… who’s taught me… that there are people willing to stand up for other people no matter what it costs them. Somebody who’s taught me about the kind of person I wanna be.” — Johnny from Dirty Dancing (1987)
5. “If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn’t be a human. You’d be a game show host.” — Veronica from The Heathers (1988)
6. “You ought to spend a little more time trying to make something of yourself and a little less time trying to impress people.”—Vernon from The Breakfast Club (1985)
7. Gordie: “Do you think I’m weird?”
Gordie: “No man, seriously. Am I weird?”
Chris: “Yeah, but so what? Everybody’s weird.” Stand By Me (1986)
8. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.” – Rafiki from The Lion King (1994)
9. “If somebody doesn’t believe in me, I can’t believe in them.” — Andie from Pretty in Pink (1986)
10. “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.” — William Goldman from The Princess Bride (1987)
11. “Travel. As much as you can. As far as you can. As long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.” — Thelma & Louise (1991)