Maybe you’d like to shed a few pounds after your holiday binge or you just really want to eat a healthier, balanced diet to give you more energy for all those classes you’re taking. Regardless of why you want to get your munching habits back on track, here are some of my suggestions of healthy dishes and snacks to get you started:
- Steel cut oats made with almond milk and ground flaxseed, with a tablespoon of agave or honey for sweetening is delicious and healthy!. Mixed together in a low-boil in a pot for 20 minutes and top with fresh fruit like blueberries!
- Or if you’re in a rush and don’t have time to cook anything try non-fat Fage Greek yogurt topped with granola and a sliced banana.
- Grilled chicken salad with mixed greens, sliced Persian cucumbers, avocado and a little bit of crumbled goat cheese.
- Steamed lentils with arugula and sliced hard-boiled eggs drizzled with balsamic. The lentils give you the protein you need plus the filling you need to get you through the day.
- Steamed garlic quinoa with baked lemon pepper salmon and a side of grilled asparagus drizzled with balsamic or a squeeze of lemon.
- Organic butter lettuce topped with chopped yellow or orange peppers, grape tomatoes, red onions, and grilled shrimp. The more colors of veggies I can add to them, the more nutrition I can add to my body. And I also use my simple dressing (recipe below) to top with.
- Handful of nuts is good for you and yummy! I gravitate more towards raw cashews or almonds.
- Celery stick with almond butter.
- Non-fat cottage cheese with fruit.
Tips with Salad Dressing
- I tend to have my creamy dressings on the side so as I eat, I just simply dip my fork into the dressing for each bite of the salad. It’s easier to control yourself that way instead of drenching the salad with the creamy dressing.
- Another great tip is making your own dressing! I love doing this because I can get creative with my taste buds and control what I put in it! My simple go-to dressing recipe consist of two fresh squeezed lemon juice with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a tablespoon of minced shallots and a tablespoon of honey.
Hope these suggestions will give you a healthy start to the New Year! And also, remember that portion control is everything and adding some exercise by joining ClassPass will definitely get you to your ideal goal. 🙂