Teacher Tuesday: Tara Faye of PNT Fitness

Tara Faye PNT

There’s a lot to love about PNT Fitness: its steps from the subway, has small class sizes, it’s a strong community of fitness-minded individuals — but we can’t help but love the cheeky class names like Cycle Virgin for cycling newbies, Awesome Arms (because who doesn’t want awesome arms?) and Butts & Guts to name a few.  It only makes sense that an awesome, strong, and inspiring woman is behind it all. Tara owns PNT Fitness and has been running the show for the past 3 years. We’re delighted to feature her as this week’s Teacher Tuesday. 

Ambassador Jane took one of Tara’s Cycle Trilectics Party! classes and gleaned some great insight on Tara and her fitness philosophy:

You’ll Find Her: At PNT Fitness in Long Island City, Queens.  It’s just one stop on the 7 train from Manhattan. The studio is literally located right next to the subway stop. You’ll find Tara teaching classes Sunday through Thursday (in addition to running the show, of course!).

The Class: I took the Monday 8:30pm Cycle Triletics Party! The trilectics bands are connected to the bottom front part of the bike and allow for some great strength training in an otherwise cardio-heavy class. I loved the small class size; PNT keeps all of their cycling classes at a max of ten people. No getting lost in a sea of bikes here!  

Her Story: Tara grew up in rural Pennsylvania and moved to NYC to study dance at Wagner College on Staten Island. She began teaching fitness classes in college which turned into a full-time job after graduation. She opened PNT Fitness (PNT is a military acronym for position, navigation, and timing) in 2011.

Fitness Philosophy: “Be stronger than excuses! When I hear ‘I don’t have time to exercise’ it drives me wild! You do! You just have to make it a priority and realize that it can be just a 20-30 minute commitment. When people tell me they don’t have time, I ask them what their favorite TV shows are and as long as they rattle them off, I know there is time in there! My healthy living philosophy is to be diligent with your diet and exercise 80% of the time. As for the other 20% of the time: let it go! Finding that balance is key!”

Personal Workout Routine: “Because I instruct over 10 classes per week at PNT Fitness, I get a lot of my workouts during the classes, but in addition to that I try to run 3-5 miles twice a week. Exercising 6 days a week, even if it’s short 20 minute workout, is important to me.”

Pre- and Post-Workout Snacks: “Chia Chargers by NY Superfoods are by far my favorite pre-workout snack. They are 120 calories and filled with energy-inducing nutrients. I have them at the studio for purchase so clients can grab something if they didn’t get a chance to eat before class. Post-workout I go for something with protein, like a 0% plain Chobani Yogurt or cottage cheese. It’s important to give your body fuel before and after a workout to maximize the effects of that hard work you endured!”

Favorite Songs to Sweat to: “Turbulence by Steve Aoki is my favorite workout song of all time! My workout playlists consist of mostly EDM with lots of energy-pumping beats!”

Advice for Fitness Newbies: “Don’t overdo it! Too many times I see people come in for class and attempting the full out, advanced versions of movements even after I show the modified version. I try to explain to newbies that many of the other students have been taking the class for a while and didn’t start out this strong or intense, so pace yourself. As long as it’s challenging for you, then you’re getting a great workout at any level – and I want you to be able to walk the next day of course!”

Follow Tara on Twitter and visit her at PNT. Not a member? Request an invite today! 

Contributed by Jane Rosales. She recently completed her first marathon, and loves taking classes at boutique fitness studios in NYC. Read her blog and follow her on twitter.

The best fitness studios, classes, and experiences are on ClassPass. Work out where you want, when you want, and how you want, all with one membership. Join our community on Facebook and Instagram!