Business Intelligence Analyst
About the role
ClassPass is the world’s leading platform for studio and gym fitness. We are passionate about helping our members live a more active life – they currently book over two million classes a month and we are just getting started.
We’re seeking a Business Intelligence Analyst to help manage the data and tools that power our business-side analytics functions. This role is responsible for architecting and maintaining the business logic underpinning our PostgreSQL analytics database, which brings together data from our production environment and third-party sources and transforms it into streamlined, nimble data tables that serve as the company’s “source of truth” for business reporting and insights. You will also assist in the management and development of our Business Intelligence software that employees use to access data and create KPI reports and dashboards. This role reports to the Director of Business Intelligence and sits on the Analytics team, but will frequently collaborate with stakeholders from other teams, particularly the product and engineering organizations.
About the right team member
- Thrives in the sweet spot between business acumen and technical data prowess. In this role you’ll need to be able to work with business end users to understand their reporting needs, as well as interface with the engineers who provide technical support to our analytics database.
- Loves to get in the weeds of data, and strives to develop detailed expertise on where data comes from, how it’s structured, and where sneaky edge cases might be hiding. You’ll need to be willing to “get your hands dirty” in the data, as you’ll be the one writing and updating the SQL logic for our major fact tables.
- Has strong business instincts and judgment. Your job is ultimately to oversee a data model that can be easily used to drive business insights; as such, the ideal candidate has interest in our business and understands the reporting implications of data model design.
- Has a strong command of data visualization. In addition to managing underlying source data you’ll also be responsible for building reports and dashboards that allow for the quick distillation of the most critical insights.
- Is a structured, logical thinker who is comfortable designing and executing the transformation of occasionally messy source data into robust and usable datasets.
- Is self-driven and thrives in a fast-paced environment. We’re a high-growth company that’s constantly iterating on our product and releasing new features and policies for our users; it’ll be your job to remain on the forefront of understanding all of these changes and what they mean for our data.
- Work cross-functionally with Product and other departments to develop processes, data models, and reports to improve efficiency
- Oversee ecosystem of web & mobile app event data
- Write, QA and maintain/update SQL logic underpinning major data tables of our analytics database, which powers all business analytics and financial reporting at the company
- Manage configuration of International and Finance related data streams and definition of its metrics
- Architect and build efficient business data models, optimize technical performance of database, and troubleshoot issues
- Utilize BI tools to create and manage reports, dashboards, and data sources that are critical for deriving insights on the business
- Develop reporting standards and best practices to ensure data and key metric standardization across the company
Skills & Experience
- 2+ years experience in Business Intelligence or similar role that involves data modeling and/or SQL-based data transformation and analytics
- Advanced SQL skills required (experience with PostgreSQL a plus)
- Experience developing data models and databases at a nascent or rapidly scaling business
- Experience working with business reporting metrics
- Experience using BI Tools required (Tableau a plus)
- Must have an interest in business-side implications of work; need to “keep up” with what’s going on with the business, feel comfortable with collaborating with business stakeholders at all levels of seniority to understand their data needs
- Familiarity with Athena/S3 databases, BigQuery, and ETL pipelines a plus
- Comfort and fluency working with command line a plus
- Experience with subscription economics a plus
Who we are
ClassPass is revolutionizing the fitness and wellness industry by bringing together the world’s best classes and experiences into one app. Founded in 2013 by Payal Kadakia, ClassPass connects members to millions of classes in 30 countries around the globe, and is now available as a wellness benefit with some of the world’s leading employers. We make it easy to prioritize your health, whether you decide to head to a local studio, play an on-demand workout or book yourself a much needed wellness appointment. Over 100 million reservations later, we truly believe that we’re just getting started.
What we believe
At ClassPass, we believe in the power of movement. But we believe in more than just that. We believe in building for the future, creating more opportunities for everyone around the world to live fully and in good health. We believe that we can always push ourselves and our company to be better, and that there is power in the hard things when we’re all working together toward the same goal. We believe in building a diverse company where a sense of belonging is felt by employees, customers and partners alike. And we believe that the secret to ClassPass’ success is its people.
ClassPass is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We highly value diversity at our company and encourage people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or other protected characteristics.